A proper pillow is something I never paid attention to. Instead, for years I used a simple inflatable one which I then tried to make comfortable with whatever gear was left in my tent. As a result I always woke up with pain in my neck and never slept well. Which is ridiculous since I did invest quite some money in a comfortable sleeping pad and bag. That’s why I recently decided to buy the NEMO Fillo, and I must say a good pillow is definitely worth it!
Packed size: 15 x 10 cm
Pillow size: 43 x 27 cm
Thickness: 10 cm
Weight: 260 gram
Integrated stuff sack
– It is easily inflates and deflates, which means the pillow is easily adjustable for both side sleepers (like myself) and back sleepers.
– The pillow has a foam layer which makes it very soft and comfortable.
– It has a removable cover which can be machine-washed. I didn’t need this yet, but it’s good to know.
– The integrated stuff sack saves the hassle of trying to find the stuff sack in the morning.
– It is relatively heavy, with 260 grams it’s not the lightest alternative on the market.
– The packed size is fairly large. On the picture below you can see how it compares to my Yeti Tension 300 L sleeping bag and Sea-to-Summit ultralight insulated L.
Sustainability of NEMO equipment
NEMO is a relatively small company making some big sustainability steps. Their design philosophy is ‘design like you give a damn’, this is backed up by their lifetime warranty. NEMO products are 100% responsible down standard certified, and they use PFC-free alternatives. NEMO also has representatives working on the Sustainability Working Group of the Outdoor Industry Association and measures its environmental impact with the HIGG index. Additionally, NEMO provides time off for employees to volunteer through their GoHelp program.
Overall conclusion of the Fillo Pillow
When buying the pillow I was a little hesitant regarding its size and weight. I’m trying to minimize my pack and the Nemo fillo pillow seemed like the opposite of that. But, after testing it on my recent week-long hike I am convinced; this pillow is definitely worth its weight and space.
I mean let’s be honest, camping will never be as comfortable as your bed at home. Sleeping a bit uncomfortable is part of the experience, but at least this time it wasn’t because of the pillow!